Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not consolidated.‘unconsolidated gravel and sand’
- ‘We support an end to annual pay increases and their replacement with one-off, unconsolidated bonuses.’
- ‘Second after HSBC's unconsolidated deposits base is Bank of China, with deposits totalling HK $600.6 billion.’
- ‘Forceful injection of unconsolidated sand can occur in all directions.’
- ‘There, fault planes parallel to the fjord display red coloration, red cataclasite in zones up to 10 cm thick, and wide zones of unconsolidated breccia or gouge.’
- ‘Geologists commonly reserve the term placer for unconsolidated sediment - materials that have not been lithified.’
- ‘The main sources of gravel are unconsolidated superficial or drift deposits of Quaternary age.’
- ‘When the seal on an unconsolidated, overpressured sand body fails the resulting steep hydraulic gradient may cause the sand to fluidize.’
- ‘‘Tertiary’ or alluvial rock came last, a mixture of unconsolidated rock and gravel, typically found on low land.’
- ‘But with the growing size of its investment in hotels, can Woolies continue to allow MGW for example to remain unconsolidated and not even equity accounted?’
- ‘Mountain Lake sediment was primarily unconsolidated, and composed of sand-sized organic particles, quartz sand and clay aggregates.’
- ‘Suddenly the entire structure, built on the unconsolidated sediments of the Tagus RAver estuary, sank into the sea, as if swallowed up by the devil himself.’
- ‘However, if you do this, increase seed rates, as unconsolidated seed beds lead to slow emergence and slug damage.’
- ‘Other income and expenses include rental income, gain/loss on the sale of fixed assets, income or losses associated with joint ventures or unconsolidated subsidiaries.’
- ‘Many modern asteroids with similar large disks are feeding generalises living on unconsolidated substrates.’
- ‘So, at that point, we simply melted away and dropped this enormous, unconsolidated mass of poorly-sorted data and erratic errata as a sloppy moraine, where you have been so unwise as to stumble across it.’
- ‘The unconsolidated financial statement of the fund, released on October 20, showed the company had sold a 47.26-per cent stake in its subsidiary Doverie Capital since the beginning of the year.’
- ‘Thus, there is no indisputable diagnostic evidence in the photograph to support Meert's claim that the unconsolidated material is a well developed paleosol.’
- ‘In unconsolidated villages, women worked on a household's scattered strips alongside their female neighbors and often quarreled with them over wandering poultry or livestock.’
- ‘In its unconsolidated earnings report, the Osaka-based nonlife insurer said it chalked up a net loss of 19.80 billion yen in a sharp turnaround from a 3.83 billion yen profit the previous year.’
- ‘Therefore one may reasonably assume that fluid circulation inside unconsolidated sediments must play an active role in settling sedimentary structures.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.