One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Failing or refusing to conform.‘strange that she should turn now to her unconforming husband for advice on a social situation’
unorthodox, unconventional, non-standard, unusual, uncommon, unwonted, out of the ordinary, radical, revolutionary, nonconformist, irregular, offbeat, off-centre, avant-gardeView synonyms
- ‘Like my partner, he is deeply unconforming.’
- ‘He would probably walk into the parsonage dressed in strict, unconforming black, and insist on speaking about breeds of dogs and how to properly prepare a pen for writing business letters.’
- ‘He shares with Paul, and other heroes out of Irish legend who appear in Yeats's plays, the doom that must attend an unconforming spirit.’
- ‘An unconforming child rejected by his conservative and despairing parents, Van Gogh was a maladjusted youth and a desperately unhappy man.’
- ‘Still unconforming, when buses took the company to its hotel each night, he went out with French dancers and other locals.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.