One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Failing or refusing to conform.‘strange that she should turn now to her unconforming husband for advice on a social situation’
unorthodox, unconventional, non-standard, unusual, uncommon, unwonted, out of the ordinary, radical, revolutionary, nonconformist, irregular, offbeat, off-centre, avant-gardeView synonyms
- ‘He would probably walk into the parsonage dressed in strict, unconforming black, and insist on speaking about breeds of dogs and how to properly prepare a pen for writing business letters.’
- ‘He shares with Paul, and other heroes out of Irish legend who appear in Yeats's plays, the doom that must attend an unconforming spirit.’
- ‘An unconforming child rejected by his conservative and despairing parents, Van Gogh was a maladjusted youth and a desperately unhappy man.’
- ‘Still unconforming, when buses took the company to its hotel each night, he went out with French dancers and other locals.’
- ‘Like my partner, he is deeply unconforming.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.