Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The state of being rare or unusual.‘the relative uncommonness of the name’
infrequency, rareness, unusualness, uncommonness, singularity, uniquenessView synonyms
- ‘Twain was especially impressed with the brilliant color and uncommonness of the Eastern costume.’
- ‘There was tea break after tea break, but never really a break long enough to snap out of the work and appreciate the uncommonness of the situation.’
- ‘It is not the uncommonness of the diction or phrasing but the uncommonness of the sentiment and appropriate expression that accounts for eloquence.’
- ‘The uncommonness of the latter three species in the state is reason enough to warrant monitoring their known populations.’
- ‘Our admiration of 'em does not so much arise out of their Greatness as Uncommonness.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.