Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1(especially of a woman) not attractive:‘she was nineteen and not uncomely’
- ‘He wasn't sure whether to be thankful or outraged, but upon glimpsing the stranger's not uncomely face, Arron settled upon merely peeved.’
- ‘The grotesque and uncomely horns that had jutted from the sides were now gone; golden swirls and designs replaced them on the new frame of the mirror.’
- ‘The mother notes Raskolnikov's stubborn nature, mentioning the story of Raskolnikov's insistence on marrying his landlady's uncomely and lame daughter, despite her objections.’
- ‘He remembers how he liked her mostly because she was an invalid and quite uncomely.’
- ‘I just loved the line ‘not uncomely face’, and as for the denial - well, let me say that Kei is not immune to that, either.’
- ‘She knew that no man of Royal blood could ever want her uncomely daughter as his wife and she knew that Rachel hadn't the personality to attract a man simply for her thoughts.’
- ‘Though I have no true beauty, I am not uncomely, arrogant as it sounds, and I would have been so entirely flustered I would have embarrassed both myself and the young gentlemen.’
- ‘At the beginning of the film, her Toula is genuinely uncomely.’
- 1.1 Not agreeable or suitable.
- ‘Just so, she thought, I cleanse my heart of suspicion's uncomely stain!’
- ‘Such an uncomely house for a family as prominent as ours, I'll have you know.’
- ‘Yes, there was to be a new Hedonism that was to re-create life, and to save it from that harsh, uncomely Puritanism that is having, in our own day, its curious revival.’
- ‘The trio treats their jittery dance-punk like a mad science experiment, haphazardly fusing club-ready basslines with uncomely electronic raucousness.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.