One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Not joined or merged to form a single unit or substance.‘the linking of previously uncombined genres’
- ‘These uncombined suffixes very materially modify the meaning of the verb to speak.’
- ‘As connected with the human will, emotion is never uncombined with thought.’
- ‘How many pure, uncombined, vowels are there in General American speech?’
- 1.1Chemistry (of an element) not combined in a compound.‘uncombined nitrogen’
non-compound, non-complex, uncompounded, unmixed, unblended, unalloyed, pure, basic, single, elementary, fundamentalView synonyms
- ‘These elements are also rarely found uncombined in nature.’
- ‘It is a measurement of pressure exerted by uncombined oxygen molecules dissolved in plasma.’
- ‘The specific gravity of the alloy is greater than that of the two metals in an uncombined state.’
- ‘The oxidation state of any atom in an uncombined element is equal to zero.’
- ‘Only a few metals such as gold, silver and copper are found pure in nature, uncombined with other elements.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.