One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Not joined or merged to form a single unit or substance.‘the linking of previously uncombined genres’
- ‘As connected with the human will, emotion is never uncombined with thought.’
- ‘These uncombined suffixes very materially modify the meaning of the verb to speak.’
- ‘How many pure, uncombined, vowels are there in General American speech?’
- 1.1Chemistry (of an element) not combined in a compound.‘uncombined nitrogen’
non-compound, non-complex, uncompounded, unmixed, unblended, unalloyed, pure, basic, single, elementary, fundamentalView synonyms
- ‘Only a few metals such as gold, silver and copper are found pure in nature, uncombined with other elements.’
- ‘The specific gravity of the alloy is greater than that of the two metals in an uncombined state.’
- ‘These elements are also rarely found uncombined in nature.’
- ‘The oxidation state of any atom in an uncombined element is equal to zero.’
- ‘It is a measurement of pressure exerted by uncombined oxygen molecules dissolved in plasma.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.