One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Not joined or merged to form a single unit or substance.‘the linking of previously uncombined genres’
- ‘How many pure, uncombined, vowels are there in General American speech?’
- ‘These uncombined suffixes very materially modify the meaning of the verb to speak.’
- ‘As connected with the human will, emotion is never uncombined with thought.’
- 1.1Chemistry (of an element) not combined in a compound.‘uncombined nitrogen’
non-compound, non-complex, uncompounded, unmixed, unblended, unalloyed, pure, basic, single, elementary, fundamentalView synonyms
- ‘It is a measurement of pressure exerted by uncombined oxygen molecules dissolved in plasma.’
- ‘The oxidation state of any atom in an uncombined element is equal to zero.’
- ‘Only a few metals such as gold, silver and copper are found pure in nature, uncombined with other elements.’
- ‘These elements are also rarely found uncombined in nature.’
- ‘The specific gravity of the alloy is greater than that of the two metals in an uncombined state.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.