One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(especially of a note or coin) that has not been in circulation.
- ‘An official order form for the 2004 uncirculated coin set can be received from the Central Bank & Financial Services Authority of Ireland by phoning 1890 307 607.’
- ‘Replacement notes are normally much more expensive than the ordinary note, so it might be worth checking your notes, especially when getting uncirculated ones.’
- ‘Collectors of everything from uncirculated coins to Parker shotguns agree that there are three criteria in determining the worth of a collector's item - rarity, authenticity and quality.’
- ‘The coin is now available in an attractively illustrated presentation folder and struck to what is called brilliant uncirculated standard (a higher quality than standard circulating coins).’
- ‘The catalogue price for this coin is in uncirculated condition is estimated to 10,000 baht, so I think the buyer did very well.’
- ‘These experimental prints were produced in just a few uncirculated impressions.’
- ‘He also points out that ‘early readers of Dante's Commedia could not have been expected to know the context in the Convivio ’, given the uncirculated status of that work.’
- ‘The cargo of the ship ‘Brother Jonathan’, which sank in 1865 off the northern California coast, included a large number of gold coins, some of them uncirculated Double Eagles.’
- ‘The coins could, in uncirculated condition, be bought for face value, while in proof condition one had to pay double face value.’
- ‘Most old coins, British or foreign have no appreciable value unless of gold or silver, or from a low-mint year, or in uncirculated pristine condition.’
- ‘This reduces the price, even if the coin is uncirculated.’
- ‘I'd also bet a whole roll of uncirculated 1919-S Standing Liberty Quarters that these auction results were cooked!’
- ‘The banknotes are close to uncirculated condition and estimated at 35,200 to 44,000 baht.’
- ‘In short, the government should mint coinage for circulation only (and perhaps proof and uncirculated sets for collectors), and leave commemorative minting to private enterprise.’
- ‘Yet (with the exception of Carosso), their research on Drexel remains in the form of private, uncirculated drafts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.