Having a hooked shape.→ unciform
curved, hook-shaped, hook-like, aquiline, bent, bowed, angularView synonyms
- ‘Brain images from the schizophrenic patients showed abnormalities in two functionally and anatomically different neural pathways - the uncinate fasciculus and the cingulate bundle.’
- ‘The middle portion of the uncinate fasciculus is extensively interconnected with the bulky middle part of the inferior occipitofrontal fasciculus.’
- ‘Most cancers arise in the head, neck, or uncinate process of the pancreas and may compress the common bile duct.’
- ‘The rounded bundle known as the uncinate fasciculus is named for its hooklike configuration as it curves beneath the stem of the lateral sulcus to connect areas of cortex in the lower frontal and anterior temporal regions.’
- ‘With pneumatisation, it extends to the frontal recess superiorly and is bounded by the frontal process of the maxilla anterolaterally, the uncinate process inferomedially, and the lacrimal bone inferolaterally.’
Mid 18th century: from Latin uncinatus, from uncinus hook.