One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for ancylostomiasis
- ‘The treatment of uncinariasis is now made efficient by two drugs; thymol is given in doses of thirty grains repeated in two hours.’
- ‘It is said to succeed better than thymol in hookworm (uncinariasis) and, unlike that agent, can be given in association with castor oil, the latter also increasing its efficiency.’
- ‘The epidemiology, life cycle, pathophysiology and treatment of uncinariasis are reviewed.’
- ‘The successful work of the first Anemia Commission and two other commissions in the diagnosis and treatment of uncinariasis led in 1912 to the establishment of the Institute of Tropical Medicine.’
- ‘As De Leon and Maldonado state in their excellent treatise on the subject: ‘All of these data point to man as the primary factor in the epidemiology of uncinariasis.’’
Early 20th century: from modern Latin Uncinaria (the name of a genus of hookworms) + -iasis.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.