One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Not professing Christianity or its teachings.
- ‘There are decidedly unchristian aspects such as reincarnation (of the elves) and the ancestor worship many of the characters indulge in.’
- ‘Given the struggles of parents in a society whose manners and morals are largely unchristian, which was the case in the late fourth century as it is now, this severity seems excessive.’
- ‘These beliefs existed within the interstices of official faith and ritual and churchmen did not necessarily see them as pagan, unchristian, heretical or erroneous.’
- ‘‘The church must repudiate once and for all the unchristian formula of male superiority-female inferiority,’ wrote Sheila D. Collins.’
- ‘It wasn't that America is an unchristian country, quite the contrary.’
- 1.1informal Unkind, unfair, or morally wrong.‘she was possessed of a very unchristian suspicion about her half sister’
- ‘Are such sentiments substandard, unchristian?’
- ‘When words and processes are misleading, it is neither unchristian nor mean to ask for a higher standard.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.