One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a man or his behaviour) discourteous, especially towards women.
ill-mannered, bad-mannered, impolite, discourteous, impertinent, insolent, impudent, cheeky, audacious, presumptuous, uncivil, disrespectful, unmannerly, ill-bred, churlish, crass, curt, brusque, blunt, ungracious, graceless, brash, unpleasant, disagreeable, offhand, short, sharpView synonyms
- ‘He opposed violence against women, because it was unchivalrous toward what he called the ‘weaker sex’.’
- ‘When a 60-year-old woman becomes entangled in her hurdles, it seems somehow unchivalrous to watch.’
- ‘So, on behalf of our unchivalrous chav: apologies to the American chanteuse.’
- ‘The boys continued the unchivalrous behavior as they left Lyn only the welfare line to stand in as Sunny took third.’
- ‘He would never be so unchivalrous, but I didn't get the impression he had chosen the timing.’
- ‘The real Turpin it seems was just as different, an unattractive, unchivalrous and brutal thief who raped and murdered.’
- ‘In one dream world he stood, surrounded by either semi conscious or woefully unchivalrous government officers in a smoky, gutted building.’
- ‘He reported rumors that they suffered artillery attacks with chains and railroad iron, projectiles he thought distinctly unchivalrous.’
- ‘Unsurprisingly, Mr Manners took to blundering into my flat at 3.30 am in a most unchivalrous manner: blind drunk, ranting that his mother didn't love him.’
- ‘The fights that killed Mercutio, Tybalt and Paris were short and brutal, Romeo's part in them reduced to swift and unchivalrous dagger thrusts.’
- ‘He responded with some deeply unchivalrous remarks about her age.’
- ‘Ramsay responded with unchivalrous remarks about Maschler's age, but she nonetheless has given his new venture a rave review.’
- ‘I'm not a big royal fan by any manner or means, I just dislike unchivalrous acts more.’
- ‘This is not to imply that Hydrogen Guy was being unchivalrous, letting Helium Girl handle all the hard work of mopping the parking lot with a pair of muscled thugs.’
- ‘Americans have largely ignored the tell-all books by unchivalrous butlers, bodyguards, and companions.’
- ‘Tore, who it was previously thought was always a gentleman, did the unchivalrous thing and prevailed on count back over that Finnish Femme Fatale, Tarja Kankianen.’
- ‘Undoubtedly the behaviour of the sergeant was unchivalrous and unbecoming of the office he occupies.’
- ‘However, the sassy, unchivalrous character built over the long years of struggle seems to have weakened the DPP's ability to adapt to its new role as a ruling party.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.