One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The principle that the momentum and position of a particle cannot both be precisely determined at the same time.
- ‘This assumption is made by the hidden-variable theories that have been advanced as alternatives to quantum mechanics and the uncertainty principle.’
- ‘For Bohr, Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is an ontological principle of indeterminacy; for Bohm, Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is an epistemological principle of ignorance.’
- ‘In addition, the uncertainty principle of quantum mechanics prevents speculation on times shorter than 10-43 seconds after the big bang.’
- ‘It turns out to be a basic consequence of the two basic principles of quantum theory, the uncertainty principle and the superposition principle.’
- ‘Subject to the limitations of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, the advancement of atomic physics and quantum physics allowed increasingly accurate descriptions of complex atoms.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.