One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The principle that the momentum and position of a particle cannot both be precisely determined at the same time.
- ‘Subject to the limitations of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, the advancement of atomic physics and quantum physics allowed increasingly accurate descriptions of complex atoms.’
- ‘This assumption is made by the hidden-variable theories that have been advanced as alternatives to quantum mechanics and the uncertainty principle.’
- ‘It turns out to be a basic consequence of the two basic principles of quantum theory, the uncertainty principle and the superposition principle.’
- ‘For Bohr, Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is an ontological principle of indeterminacy; for Bohm, Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is an epistemological principle of ignorance.’
- ‘In addition, the uncertainty principle of quantum mechanics prevents speculation on times shorter than 10-43 seconds after the big bang.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.