Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a book, document, etc.) not yet catalogued.
- ‘I have, over the years, become horrified at the overwhelming number of uncatalogued Old and Middle Irish manuscripts contained in repositories throughout Europe.’
- ‘After a decade of efforts by the library committee and a succession of volunteers, most of the books remained uncatalogued.’
- ‘Some vernacular language material is not fully catalogued, but all uncatalogued vernacular materials can be found as an order record through an author or title search in the library catalog.’
- ‘The total number of items including uncatalogued material, is estimated to be about 150,000 and reflects all aspects of life in Camden.’
- ‘Much of the rest of the archival material is uncatalogued, and is now in some disarray.’
- ‘The web is also like being stuck in a giant uncatalogued library, with every dusty shelf offering up hidden treasures; you just have to hunt for them.’
- ‘The collection was initially uncatalogued and placed alongside the Institute materials; it was of value but extremely difficult to use effectively.’
- ‘Feel free to roam the uncatalogued contents; you never know what sort of treasures you might unearth!’
- ‘Many of the 600,000 uncatalogued books are still sitting in unopened boxes.’
- ‘This exhibition introduces a hitherto uncatalogued collection of Islamic calligraphy kept in the Wellcome Library.’
- ‘While there will be some legitimate uncatalogued prints, for the most part the collector should stick to what is catalogued.’
- ‘This collection, some of which is uncatalogued, covers fashion history, graphic design, corporate design, etc.’
- ‘Although they suspect additional pieces may have been stolen, they declined to speculate on the scope of the additional uncatalogued items that may have been looted.’
- ‘Sadly, many audio collections remain unpreserved or uncatalogued for lack of money or lack of institutional interest.’
- ‘Under this grant hitherto uncatalogued materials were added to the online catalogue.’
- ‘Using unsorted and uncatalogued manuscript collections is also often restricted, and you may have to obtain special permission from the archivist.’
- ‘The site now contains listings of both catalogued and uncatalogued material to be found in the library, enabling researchers to obtain a much clearer view of what the holdings are.’
- ‘I liked to climb to the top of the tower, where uncatalogued documents and fragments left over from the Victorian rearrangement of the records were haphazardly thrown into sacks.’
- ‘They were stored, uncatalogued, in the county record office.’
- ‘A survey has been designed and carried out to assess the extent of library materials within the group that remain either on card catalogue or indeed completely uncatalogued.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.