One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a cheque or money order) not yet cashed.
- ‘There are no chequebooks and uncashed cheques lying around, waiting to vanish into the black hole where keys, biros and odd socks also mysteriously disappear.’
- ‘Friends tell stories of tattered old cars and of large honorarium checks left uncashed in a desk drawer for years.’
- ‘The program was spawned from the Horse Race Law, which provides for health funding to jockeys and their dependents through the uncashed mutuel tickets.’
- ‘The group currently operates on an annual budget of slightly more than $2-million, funded mostly from uncashed mutuel tickets and private donations.’
- ‘One widow, she said, was carrying around $900,000 in uncashed cheques; another confessed to spending $15,000 on designer clothes.’
- ‘Last year, the legislature supported a bond issue for improving the tracks by allowing the Maryland Jockey Club to increase takeout and collect uncashed mutuel tickets.’
- ‘The checks, totaling more than $22,000, came back, uncashed, by registered mail in late June.’
- ‘During the purge of the house, the cleaners found £130 in lost change and £120 in uncashed cheques.’
- ‘It's not like my uncashed cheque was going to go to a high school teacher's salary or to a homeless shelter.’
- ‘Checks written to the program by Brazilian celebrities remained uncashed for months because the government was slow to open a bank account.’
- ‘State law authorized the CHRB to allocate a portion of uncashed pari-mutuel tickets revenue to the Guild for insurance coverage, which amount to approximately $1-million a year.’
- ‘She replied that she had never heard of such a ghastly deed, and, consequently, she had no choice but to return my annual stipend unendorsed and uncashed.’
- ‘In 1999, Autotote discovered an employee forging uncashed winning tickets and escorted the employee off the premises but never reported the incident to the commission.’
- ‘So with an uncashed, bad two party check from the ex-exotic dancer in hand, she tries to find a bank that will keep her in body stockings for another month.’
- ‘Gogarty retained the cheque uncashed until it became the first exhibit to the Flood Tribunal in January last.’
- ‘If they don't like it, they can bring it back for an exchange or refund on their credit card or receive their uncashed check back.’
- ‘Also included are the actual track program from the race as well as an original $2.00 uncashed tote ticket.’
- ‘The proposed bill also had included provisions to establish telephone wagering and return uncashed winning tickets to purse funds.’
- ‘In fact, it plans to deposit the uncashed checks into the general account of the Houston Airport System after waiting a year.’
- ‘The bill also calls for returning uncashed winning tickets to purses, and authorizes account wagering.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.