One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Remove from a cover or case.
- ‘Brandark's finery had astounded everyone, and some of those who'd prudently withdrawn from his vicinity had been lured back when he uncased his balalaika and began strumming.’
- ‘You notice these things when you are uncasing a shotgun.’
- ‘I uncased my old S & W 19 and holding it around the frame with my left hand began seating it in the web of my right hand.’
- ‘Now when I set a rifle aside temporarily I close up the amino boxes that go with it and put them away in a gear bag before uncasing the next rifle.’
- ‘With the arrival of the VIPs, a 21-gun royal salute was delivered by Type 23 frigate HMS Norfolk, and after the Queen inspected the Guard of Honour and the Royal Marines Band, the new Colour was marched on, uncased and placed on a drum pile.’
- ‘I uncased my guitar, hit a chord, and struck up an old and somehow appropriate Gerry Rafferty song - ‘Here I am stuck in the middle with you…’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.