Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not looked after properly.‘it was sad to see the old place uncared for and neglected’
uncared for, mistreated, abandoned, forsakenView synonyms
- ‘The villa remained abandoned, and uncared for.’
- ‘Drastic proposals that could leave some veterans uncared for.’
- ‘Many of the sites of mass execution remain uncared for.’
- ‘While several have received the care and support that they need, many others have died on the streets, uncared for, lonely, abused and forgotten…’
- ‘A large proportion of the children will die from beatings, hunger or diseases from dirt and uncared for wounds.’
- ‘The area has deteriorated with rubbish in front gardens and properties uncared for.’
- ‘Beer sugars that are left uncared for become mouldy and skunky, as I'm sure you know if you have ever come across a half-empty beer days or weeks after a party.’
- ‘And after that, the uncared for building itself would settle into shapelessness, buried under the ubiquity of the dust.’
- ‘And similar to the aftermath of the Holocaust, many people in Rwanda are suffering from trauma and disease, while children are orphaned and mass execution sites remain uncared for.’
- ‘The entire family had drifted off after Grandma's death, most of them settling in cities and the house had remained neglected and uncared for.’
- ‘The vibe I pick up is that people think the city is uncared for.’
- ‘Though she had rescued several injured and badly wounded chimpanzees the world over, none had been so badly treated and left uncared for, Ms. Goodall felt.’
- ‘It drags an area down and it makes it look uncared for.’
- ‘Instead of being a hotbed of thriving life and action it is a hotbed of crime and depravity, allowed to overwhelm a forgotten, overlooked, uncared for community!’
- ‘I'm tossed around, uncared for, and mistreated.’
- ‘Last year I came back again and found, to my dismay and disappointment, a shabby, untidy and uncared for cluster of poorly kept houses with shocking colour schemes.’
- ‘This is not a property that should be purchased solely for its agricultural land with the house remaining vacant and uncared for.’
- ‘Artificial plants of different shapes and hues stand imposingly and continue to exist for years even if left uncared for.’
- ‘Wooden fencing round the gardens on the ground floors, already broken down and rotting, the patches inside still uncared for.’
- ‘Something about the twisted buildings made her sad, sad that they had been abandoned, uncared for.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.