One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a player) never having been chosen as a member of a particular sports team, especially a national one.
- ‘Also, Corinthian's goalkeeper Charlie Henderson joins the 21-man party departing for Brussels who, along with John Jermyn, are the only two uncapped players.’
- ‘The 19-year-old uncapped Kaarthick, rewarded for his consistent performance at the domestic level, is currently doing duty for India ‘A’ in Zimbabwe.’
- ‘Today's England side, led by Gloucester prop Phil Vickery, includes eight uncapped players, with the likes of Lawrence Dallaglio, Will Greenwood, Kyran Bracken and Iain Balshaw out of contention.’
- ‘To retain four uncapped spinners could be regarded as unnecessary and Ellison may already have been considered surplus to requirements along with Ripon-born opening batsman John Inglis and reserve wicketkeeper Matthew Thewlis.’
- ‘Meanwhile, Wales coach Steve Hansen has named three uncapped players in his 30-man squad for next month's Test matches against Australia and New Zealand Down Under.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.