Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Not conforming to or ordered by canon law.
heterodox, uncanonical, heretical, nonconformist, dissenting, dissentient, renegadeView synonyms
- ‘The punishment for such a violation is to be banned from performing any priestly function until the uncanonical act is expunged through repentance.’
- ‘That the doctrine of the filioque and its uncanonical insertion in the Latin creed present serious obstacles to the reconciliation of churches has long been clear.’
- ‘The uncanonical actions of Metropolitan Valentine were submitted to the Synod for their decision by Archbishop Gregory in a formal accusation.’
- ‘His appointment to Canterbury after the Norman Robert of Jumièges had been forced into exile was also deemed uncanonical by the papacy.’
- ‘Instead of having a lawful and real Primate, we will recognize one that is uncanonical, born of schism, sullied by sergianism and ecumenism, and therefore without Grace.’
- ‘However the situation we have now is uncanonical and gives a bad impression to many of Orthodoxy.’
- ‘Only in 1832 a Synodal ukaz legitimized the uncanonical under-age tonsure.’
- ‘So, the Boston group made yet another uncanonical departure from the bishop they had pledged obedience to, and ended up with the Synod of Archbishop Auxentios.’
- ‘In this way, they proved that their true allegiance had always been with those uncanonical and schismatic groups.’
- ‘Though uncanonical, they have the same standing as the ‘Kings.’’
- ‘Still, sensing the uncanonical nature of this church, the Council of American Bishops meeting in Pittsburgh in 1936 recognized the Synod of Bishops.’
- ‘It was uncanonical due to the fact the ROCOR Synod of bishops forbad, twice, the consecration to take place, and one of the bishops was a New Calendarist.’
- ‘It was stated just now that our Lord was deeply versed in uncanonical as well as in canonical Jewish writings, i.e., in Hellenistic Jewish literature as well as in the Old Testament Scriptures.’
2Not belonging to a literary or other canon.
- ‘The selection criteria for literary material aims to be uncanonical, in representing the literature of a whole period rather than concentrating on major writers.’
- ‘The implication of my original findings that uncanonical poets can surpass cultural marginalization is that the book will target both a traditional and modern readership.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.