One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a metal surface) not polished; dull.
dull, lacklustre, matt, flat, unpolished, tarnished, dingy, dim, dark, drabView synonyms
- ‘The inventory of 1700 describes 'its wooden frame gilded with unburnished gold'.’
- ‘In northern European paintings matt, unburnished gilding is also found and contracts may specify which areas are to be burnished and which are to be matt.’
- ‘Nymphs and satyrs in Florentine bronze smirked and capered in the recesses of the pale gray wall, relieved by mouldings and medallions in unburnished gold.’
- ‘It was unburnished gray - aluminum or magnesium, by its light weight - and smoothly streamlined.’
- ‘It was not calculation but humility - together with his understanding that it is preferable not to rust unburnished but to shine in use - that gave him another lease on life.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.