One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(especially of a dead body) not buried.
- ‘At these sites, the unburied or exhumed bones of the dead were left visible to make the genocide unavoidable.’
- ‘The alternative to this is to leave the cable unburied but with CRP protection over the unburied sections until such time as the flotels have left the site.’
- ‘As Julia Kristeva writes, an unburied corpse is ‘death infecting life.’’
- ‘Although the reader does not witness firsthand the killing of Beau Boutan, his dead body remains unburied and visible throughout most of the text.’
- ‘Hours later, in the cold winds of winter, Yeltsik and Victor stood by the unburied soldier, the wind whipping their ears about, stinging their face, numbing their cheeks, fingers, and toes.’
- ‘The dusty barren ground was littered with piles of unburied corpses.’
- ‘A few months later other concentration camps are liberated - among them Bergen-Belsen, where thousands of unburied bodies are strewn over the ground.’
- ‘An unburied corpse, left lying above ground for whatever reason, produced the opposite effect.’
- ‘When the camp was liberated on April 15, 1945, the British found 10,000 unburied bodies, and 40,000 sick, starving, or wounded.’
- ‘Harris and Davy found that the net photosynthesis of Elytrigia juncea after 2 d of complete burial was 30% lower than unburied controls.’
- ‘Since they remained unburied and unshriven, these unfortunates, as was noted earlier, were regarded as unclean dead.’
- ‘He ordered her to cast his unburied body into the middle of the public square.’
- ‘So you will have mounds of unburied corpses on the streets, which means typhoid or cholera outbreaks.’
- ‘She had, for instance, several narratives about the ghost of an unburied child.’
- ‘The dead marshes, with their unburied soldiers could be seen as the First World War trenches where Tolkien fought.’
- ‘The Palestinian Ministry of Health is saying that they fear the spread of diseases because of the number of unburied corpses.’
- ‘The fighting was some of the worst in the war, with wounded being hit again as they lay on stretchers, and the smell of unburied bodies polluting the position.’
- ‘As they continue on the road, the sky is filled with carrion birds and wolves feed on the bodies of unburied orcs.’
- ‘I remember studying Propertius with him, and the visit of the dead Cynthia, her bones grinding, the reference to the unburied Patroclus.’
- ‘In Euripedes there are traces of the belief that the unburied dead could not enter Hades, but were condemned to haunt the earth to which they remained indissolubly bound.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.