One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not having been baptized.
- ‘The people of the parish are pleased with this permanent memorial to all the unbaptised children of the parish.’
- ‘It does not, in the slightest, suggest that the Old Covenant is not still binding on unbaptized Jews.’
- ‘When writing on free choice before he became a bishop, Augustine had speculated that infants dying unbaptized would find their destiny in neither heaven nor hell.’
- ‘The belief in fairies was universal, and their power was specially dreaded in the case of women in childbed and of unbaptised infants.’
- ‘An uncircumcised Jewish boy is like an unbaptised Christian child.’
- ‘They did not even stop there, but let out all the unbaptized American infants we had been accumulating for two hundred years and more.’
- ‘The baptism is performed as soon after the birth as possible; traditionally, an unbaptized baby was susceptible to the devil.’
- ‘Cillini were the last resting places for unbaptised babies for centuries but were also the burial grounds for shipwrecked sailors washed up on the Kerry shoreline.’
- ‘Those who die unbaptized will be interred at night in a field near the spot where they died.’
- ‘During the question period that followed his talk, someone asked whether an unbaptized person could go to heaven.’
- ‘Many Christians still believe that the souls of unbaptised babies who die will float around in a grey ether known as limbo for all eternity.’
- ‘The area around the building has long been used as a burial ground for unbaptised children, and the small headstones marking these sad graves can be seen.’
- ‘The nearby Cilllin, or burial ground, was used up to about 40 years ago as a final resting place for unbaptised babies.’
- ‘The Kilkelly Cemetery Committee has erected an altar in Culmore Cemetery in memory of all the unbaptised children in the area.’
- ‘An unbaptized soul would have no benevolent cherub to swat away the demon's tight grip.’
- ‘Properly understood, then, the desire by unbaptized persons to receive communion may not be well served by the rush to immediate gratification.’
- ‘In a few decades you could not find in all this broad land an unbaptized infant.’
- ‘Constantine, after all that he had done in religious disputes, was still unbaptized.’
- ‘Unknown to potential converts, any judicial action against an unbaptized publisher is announced to the congregation, even if the action does not result in any official punishment (p.’
- ‘During this time of approximately one month, the woman was considered contaminated by the issue of blood and treated as though dangerous and in the sinful state of being unbaptized.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.