Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Without being aware of a situation.‘the photographer had caught her unawares’→ unaware
unknowingly, unwittingly, unconsciously, without noticing, in all innocenceby surprise, unexpectedly, without warning, suddenly, abruptly, unprepared, off-guard, coldView synonyms
- ‘On the off chance that my jokes are so old that a whole new virgin generation has sprung up unawares, here are a couple of sillier ones.’
- ‘He is like the hapless pedestrian about to turn unawares face first into an expertly placed custard pie.’
- ‘And if a nasty little new variant leaps out of the Fujiaan province of China to catch the experts unawares I'm not going to blame them.’
- ‘We do not express our needs clearly and concisely and end up with situations to which we have contributed unawares.’
- ‘But don't be so busy grizzling that this week sneaks up on you unawares - and gives you a whole lot more to complain about.’
- ‘We have an idea of how something will happen, good or bad, that for a few brief moments things will go our way, then something will jump up unawares and throw things off course.’
- ‘Materialism traps us, unawares, in a world of possessions hag-ridden by irrational fears of likely loss and lurking dangers.’
- ‘To be sure, Dan Rather's half-hour broadcasts venture unawares into the realm of outsider art.’
- ‘Waiting for the train, she glances surreptitiously through the commuters at the lovely young thing walking down the platform unawares.’
- ‘The soup inside the shengjian mantou can be quite hot and those who dive in unawares can expect to burn their tastebuds something fierce.’
Mid 16th century: from unaware + -s.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.