Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having no knowledge of a situation or fact.‘they were unaware of his absence’
ignorant, unknowing, unconscious, heedless, unmindful, oblivious, unsuspecting, uninformed, unenlightened, unwitting, innocent, inattentive, unobservant, unperceptive, unresponsive, blind, deaf, insensible, insensitivein the darkincognizant, nescientView synonyms
- ‘An Irish couple on holidays in Bali spent the last three days climbing a mountain, unaware of the carnage.’
- ‘Perhaps they are unaware of what they are doing and perhaps a reminder might help to stamp out this uncivic practice.’
- ‘The world's media are, to an equal degree, completely unaware of what most people in the world think or do.’
- ‘Many passengers are still unaware of the changes and are surprised when these buses divert from their old routes.’
- ‘As for history, it is clearly you are are unaware of or really understand where the roots of your religion came from.’
- ‘I am unaware of anywhere in the literature on the Kimberley that this has been identified as a practice of the day.’
- ‘Polls against gay marriage are showing the American public is not unaware of this fact.’
- ‘But this is not to say that the editorial staff was unaware of the situation at the apartment building.’
- ‘However, based on her letter, it sounds like he may be unaware that there's a problem.’
- ‘However, she was unaware that she was misusing the antibiotic and that she could also be harming her health.’
- ‘Many people may be unaware of the fact that prior to Kellistown the races were held at Graiguenaspideog.’
- ‘So people are often unaware of something like income protection insurance.’
- ‘Many motorists were unaware of the celebrations and confused as to why there was a traffic jam on a Saturday night.’
- ‘The village folk are unaware of the fact that Boothanathan had kidnapped Vigathakumaran.’
- ‘Gilles is unaware of the total investment of this real estate project.’
- ‘By my own experience, most people, even amongst regular web users, are still unaware of just what a blog is.’
- ‘Most of the Indian consumers are unaware of what's inside those tinned and frozen cans of Coke and Pepsi.’
- ‘In this collection he searches for the skull of Mary, for whom he had some fascination though she was unaware of it.’
- ‘It seemed the tribunal was unaware of the first meeting until yesterday.’
- ‘However, he said he was unaware of any attempt by the archdiocese to contact O'Keeffe directly.’
- variant of unawares
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.