One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not atoned for.
- ‘I must bear the cross of unatoned debt.’
- ‘If you can quote where I said that the action performed by the priest atoned for apparently previously unatoned sins, please do so.’
- ‘Istanbul is inscribed on the map of unatoned crimes, closer to Raskolnikov's Petersburg than to Woody Allen's London in ‘Matchpoint’.’
- ‘And somewhere across the highway, where our sins lie unatoned, our need to be justified meets our need to be free.’
- ‘Note the biblical references ‘my father's house’ and ‘our sins lie unatoned.’’
- ‘Both concern marriage attained through unatoned sin, maintained despite suspicion and recrimination, resolved at last by death.’
- ‘The Lords of Karma with their faithful diligence and sense of direction neither leave any good action uncompensated nor any bad action unatoned.’
- ‘A wrong unrepented of and unatoned gathers interest.’
- ‘As the Stasi crimes remain largely unatoned in legal terms, they believe it is time to rehabilitate them politically as well.’
- ‘Hallgerda often put him in mind of it, and kept saying that Sigmund had fallen unatoned.’
- ‘Ye may know, too, that he is a man, for he has had sons by his wife, and few of our kinsfolk have fallen unatoned by our house, so that we have not had vengeance for them.’
- ‘Moreover, given the unatoned crimes and continuing discrimination, the greater portion of this sorely afflicted minority decided to emigrate to Germany.’
- ‘And preoccupation with the unatoned murder of his grandfather was the beginning of his quest for his own origin.’
- ‘There is no end to the crimes they committed against us - crimes that remain unacknowledged and unatoned to this day.’
- ‘A theme worth considering could be ‘Who bears responsibility for the unatoned holocaust of the expulsion?’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.