One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘He supported from a distance as he built a successful career, but in recent years he has emerged, quietly and unassumingly, as the biggest benefactor in the club's history.’
- ‘Cate Blanchett appears in all her glossy, blonde movie-star radiance playing herself, and also, thanks to some unassumingly tricky camera work, her wayward and resentful cousin, who is a brunette.’
- ‘However, there are also the unsung heroes who individually and unassumingly, quietly work for social change and never receive public attention.’
- ‘Having forced herself never to ask for help, let alone admit to needing it, Beck was awed when help repeatedly was offered to her, quietly and unassumingly.’
- ‘You felt that it was him that quietly and unassumingly kept things together as both Pete Townsend and Roger Daltry seemed quite volatile characters.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.