One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘As often in his writing, Pater introduces a point of major significance so quietly and unassertively that it slips past the reader's guard.’
- ‘The best wear is often that which isn't readily noticed but rather contributes unassertively to the overall worn styling of a piece.’
- ‘Sergey Ostrovsky is the ‘leader’ but he does so, if he does, unassertively, so that attention is often directed upon the others who all bring their personalities to interact with the composers.’
- ‘If she speaks unassertively, she appears to intrude in an ‘inappropriate’ style.’
- ‘Mr. Peacock's walking bass lines landed unassertively in all the right places, and his solos modestly crooned pizzicato melodies as Mr. Jarrett hung chords above them like Japanese lanterns.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.