One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a sound) not aspirated.
- ‘Unaspirated sounds seem to be voiced, aspirated ones voiceless.’
- ‘For instance, aspirated consonants are written with a small superscript h after the symbol for the corresponding unaspirated consonant.’
- ‘For the Mandarin speaker, both [ dz ] and [ ts ] fall into the unaspirated category and so do not contrast.’
- ‘And some languages have three categories: negative (voiced), small (voiceless unaspirated), and large (voiceless aspirated).’
- ‘These sounds also have, as instances, aspirated allophones, which occur in onset position of stressed syllables, and unaspirated allophones, which occur after s.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.