One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a sound) not aspirated.
- ‘For instance, aspirated consonants are written with a small superscript h after the symbol for the corresponding unaspirated consonant.’
- ‘Unaspirated sounds seem to be voiced, aspirated ones voiceless.’
- ‘These sounds also have, as instances, aspirated allophones, which occur in onset position of stressed syllables, and unaspirated allophones, which occur after s.’
- ‘And some languages have three categories: negative (voiced), small (voiceless unaspirated), and large (voiceless aspirated).’
- ‘For the Mandarin speaker, both [ dz ] and [ ts ] fall into the unaspirated category and so do not contrast.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.