Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not taken, allocated, or assigned.‘vacant and unappropriated land’
- ‘Hence it follows that where workers are without access to unappropriated land - where, for example, all land is monopolized - competition for employment among workers forces their wages down to the minimum subsistence level.’
- ‘If the original Lease Price does not exceed the Lease Price payable by the incoming lessee, the outgoing Lessee would receive a refund of the Lease Deposit plus any unappropriated amount of the Total Rent.’
- ‘But where do the unappropriated funds come from?’
- ‘This means that no one is permitted to become the first user of a previously undiscovered and unappropriated physical entity.’
- ‘The drawback to this approach is that it leaves large amounts of scripture and tradition at the heart of Christian faith unappropriated.’
- ‘Without the act of exteriorizing the private sphere, identity negotiations at borders, within and without, do not actualize, intracommunal links are not forged, and the ideal of the universal man remains unappropriated.’
- ‘In such case he is saying that since there is no unappropriated land available there can be no ‘natural’ wage, or at least it cannot be measured by the method George suggests.’
- ‘‘The right to appropriate the unappropriated waters of the natural streams of the state for beneficial use in order of priority shall never be denied,’ the settlers wrote.’
- ‘In addition the Reconstruction and Development Programme Fund also shows unappropriated funds of R997,3 million.’
- ‘The second point is that in situations where it is needed there is no unappropriated land available.’
- ‘Recall that Ponge's things remain unappropriated: Ponge does not preside over them, has no claim on them.’
- ‘It is the nucleus afforded by a vast and unappropriated country for the establishment and growth of political and religious minorities transplanted from ancient states and hierarchies.’
- ‘We are validating unappropriated expenses incurred by the Department of Conservation of $93.5 million for the financial year ended 30 June 2002, whose total expenditure was $201 million.’
- ‘Such making is not absorption, does not incur other languages, exports little but the traveler's shoestring budget, imports only what self can be limned, unappropriated, in the discipline of knowledge and generous attention.’
- ‘If the payment to Mr Butler is unappropriated, then it has to be refunded.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.