Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Remaining the same; unchanged:‘many buildings survive unaltered’
unspoilt, unmarked, unblemished, untarnished, unsullied, undefiled, undamaged, unharmed, unscathed, unmarred, unpollutedView synonyms
- ‘Although it has remained substantially unaltered since construction, it is now in need of restoration.’
- ‘It was easy to see why Glenn wanted the land to remain open and unaltered, full of lions, people, and other wild things.’
- ‘By midnight though, the contentious page remained unaltered.’
- ‘In this process the object remains unaltered and intact; it does not need liquefaction to be experienced.’
- ‘Most grounds remained unaltered in those boom years.’
- ‘Other waters available for angling remain unaltered at present.’
- ‘The relationship between government and press remains unaltered, allowing ample freedom for others to function as Dunlop did.’
- ‘Progress will be made at the edges but the core will remain unaltered.’
- ‘Others show predictable outcomes if dysfunctional patterns remain unaltered.’
- ‘He was confident all would go well and as they got in the helicopter and took off, that confidence remained unaltered.’
- ‘Externally the building would remain largely unaltered.’
- ‘The original Eddystone eels have remained unaltered since Dave Beer first made them commercially in the early 1970's.’
- ‘Countryside traditions which had remained unaltered for centuries changed and have continued to do so, with many of the old ways of life lost forever.’
- ‘The extent to which most weddings have remained unaltered is as astonishing as it is depressing, and it is to our great shame that this is what most women want.’
- ‘I came away convinced that Etosha was the greatest park I'd ever visited; an opinion that remains unaltered.’
- ‘The policy remains unaltered, the policy is that we are not going to allow illegal immigrants to come to this country.’
- ‘While the focus of her writing changed for this book, Beattie's goal remains unaltered.’
- ‘Whatever happens, it will be fascinating to see whether the French line on the defence against terror remains unaltered after this.’
- ‘Times change, locations change but some things remain unaltered.’
- ‘The profile of the event has continued to develop since then, although its style and format have remained unaltered.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.