Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Not exposed to the open air for ventilation.
damp, musty, chilly, clammy, wet, moist, unaired, moisture-laden, humidView synonyms
- ‘‘We actually had a great time on the U2 tour,’ says Manson, ‘but there were already a lot of unaired issues.’’
- ‘Dinner remained unplanned, the curtains unaired, the floors unswept - Alexia stood swiftly and left the room for the kitchen.’
- ‘Because otherwise social conventions and inequalities would be unbearably stifling and irksome, and terrible things and events would remain festering in our minds, unaired.’
- ‘He said without that freedom Britain would be ‘a society with a veneer of tolerance concealing a snakepit of unaired and unchallenged views’.’
- ‘Distressed to count at least six pairs of chinos clearly unaired this side of winter during my half-hour journey, I was heartened to see the attire of an old man as I awaited the lift.’
- ‘You can almost smell the house, thick with the stench of unaired rooms, the pulped food with which Pattie is spoonfed - and despair.’
2Not previously broadcast:‘the original unaired pilot episode’
- ‘A little more on the disappointing side are two unaired episodes.’
- ‘This series pilot was rejected by the network and remained unaired until the very end of the show's run.’
- ‘The two bonus tracks (which were unaired on the original broadcast) of new cuts just aren't up to snuff.’
- ‘Both decided that the network would have to turn over unaired videotapes to civil litigants in a federal civil rights case.’
- ‘Only the unaired pilot is provided in addition to the twelve episodes.’
- ‘Speaking of that unaired pilot, it's the highlight of the extras.’
- ‘DVDs of Firefly, including the unaired episodes, are planned for later this year.’
- ‘The leftover unaired performances were often as good (if not better) and a valuable treasure trove for fans of the particular artist.’
- ‘The previously unaired footage is scheduled to be broadcast at 6 p. m.’
- ‘The first is the unaired pilot episode of The Greatest American Heroine.’
- ‘At least, the unaired episodes on the DVD give a judicious kick, following through on a nicely drawn story arc.’
- ‘I think there are unaired episodes, which they'll probably show.’
- ‘Disc Two also contains 25 additional unaired skits.’
- ‘The upcoming DVDs will include unaired episodes so if you want to watch them unspoiled, don't read.’
- ‘Another unaired Firefly script is online for reading.’
- ‘The last disc includes an unaired pilot, which focused on Hefner himself instead of the girls.’
- ‘Fortunately, seven unaired episodes will give fans something to really dive into.’
- ‘Selecting "play all" will give you the original, unaired pilot episode and then the entire aired story.’
- ‘The third unaired episode, more of a conventional action story along the lines of Seven Samurai.’
- ‘The episode includes one of the funniest gags of the entire series - that was unaired even in this episode's solitary airing on ABC.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.