Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The non-mandatory lesser pilgrimage made by Muslims to Mecca, which may be performed at any time of the year.Compare with hajj
- ‘I told her not to over-exhaust herself (as it is the Ramadhan month and Mecca would be too crowded) by performing many umrahs if her physical strength couldn't take it.’
- ‘How did you find the umrahs as an experience?’
- ‘Subhanallah, here I was, with two perfectly healthy, strong legs and yet I had come half-reluctantly… thinking that I had already done three umrahs and that that was quite enough.’
- ‘Perform as many tawaaf, umrah and nafl salaat as you can and make du'aa that the thawaab of this be presented to Rasûlullâh.’
- ‘Should it not deserve our attention if our talented students drop out of schools due to paucity of funds or child labour while our elite perform repeated umrahs and hajjs?’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.