One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounAustralian Rules Football
An umpire.‘they took so long that the umpy could almost have started the game without them’
- ‘We crack some tinnies, and if it turns cold we go inside to watch the replays on the telly and abuse the umpy.’
- ‘The umpy was said to be as blind as ever.’
- ‘"Look umpy," said Gibbs, "I'm retiring after this match and I've always wanted to be the first footballer ever to kick a goal in the nude."’
- ‘Even the umpies were in on the joke, blowing their whistles for marks before he got his hands on the ball.’
- ‘The Pies won this game even though the umpies were determined they were going to give it to the Eagles.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.