One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Either of two small trees or shrubs with leaves or leaflets arranged in umbrella-like whorls.
- ‘The Queensland umbrella tree is a versatile plant that works well in areas with little light - Carter suggests placing them in front of or actually inside a fireplace as a focal point.’
- ‘Tulip tree, American beech, sugar maple, umbrella tree, and cucumber tree dominate here.’
- ‘The poster-calendar features 24 of the most harmful environmental weeds, including wandering jew, camphor laurel, orange jessamine, umbrella tree, asparagus fern and morning glory.’
- ‘Moist woodland on the lower mountain slopes and extending down to streams that meander in the valleys contains tulip poplar, sweet gum, and umbrella tree (a magnolia).’
- ‘School wasn't very far away, and it wasn't long before he parked the car in his usual spot, under the big umbrella tree.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.