One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Brazilian folk religion combining elements of macumba, Roman Catholicism, and South American Indian practices.as modifier ‘Umbanda rites’
- ‘For approximately twenty years after arriving from Brazil in the mid 1960s Umbanda was not socially perceived as a religious movement in Buenos Aires.’
- ‘Because of this accusation, for ten days Umbanda beliefs and practices were judged harshly in the media.’
- ‘Likewise, Uruguayan devotees have taken the Brazilian par excellence Umbanda to Venezuela and Argentine practitioners are taking it to Spain and Italy.’
- ‘Temples practice both Umbanda, a syncretic variant with strong Spiritist and Catholic influences, and Batuque.’
- ‘Created with practitioners of Cuban Santeria, Haitian Vodou, and Brazilian Umbanda, it shows ritual and social practices as they existed in New York City in 1999.’
- ‘This was accomplished by identifying the religion primarily with Umbanda.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.