One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Of or involving sound waves with a frequency above the upper limit of human hearing.
- ‘Mounted on the rear number plate and automatically activated in reverse gear, two ultrasonic sensors can detect obstacles up to 100 cm behind the car.’
- ‘Coupled with the use of electromagnetic and ultrasonic detectors, excavations to find utilities could be faster and safer.’
- ‘This is because the ultrasonic sensor was located apart from the buoy in the neighborhood of the coast that may have reduced the energy of the waves.’
- ‘There are four sets of ultrasonic sensors for detecting the opponent at a distance and four contact sensors on its sides which are triggered when contact is made.’
- ‘Then, using an electronic compass and ultrasonic sensors, it cuts the area about 10 times, ensuring a minimum of missed patches.’
- ‘Researchers theorize that there could be an evolutionary explanation for the frog's ultrasonic hearing.’
- ‘They become aware of their environment and learn by a process of trial and error not to hit things their ultrasonic sensor tells them lie in front of them.’
- ‘A wide range of joining technologies is used, from laser and ultrasonic welding to adhesives.’
- ‘Others, like the tiger moth, hear the bat and emit a jamming signal in the ultrasonic frequency spectrum.’
- ‘She successfully destroyed two dozen hostile ghosts with ultrasonic sound waves and laser grids.’
- ‘The ultrasonic flow meter is particularly well suited for this purpose, as the exhaled air is not trapped or filtered.’
- ‘Flashing lights and beeping ultrasonic sensors ensure that touchdown is accomplished without injury to vehicle or passenger.’
- ‘Once the blade struck something, it would vibrate at an ultrasonic frequency, making the gash even bigger.’
- ‘Prof Warwick also hopes to wire himself up to a ultrasonic sensor, to give himself a bat-like sixth sense.’
- ‘There are ultrasonic sensors used to monitor weld quality.’
- ‘Static and dynamic obstacle detection is supplemented by an array of ultrasonic sensors.’
- ‘A wave sensor with canted ultrasonic beams also measures wave direction.’
- ‘Warwick also hopes to wire himself up to a ultrasonic sensor, used by robots to navigate around objects, to give himself a bat-like sixth sense.’
- ‘Occupancy sensors come in two basic types: infrared and ultrasonic.’
- ‘The team bombarded this liquid with sound waves tuned to ultrasonic frequencies that caused wide variations in pressure in the fluid.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.