One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Of or involving sound waves with a frequency above the upper limit of human hearing.
- ‘Static and dynamic obstacle detection is supplemented by an array of ultrasonic sensors.’
- ‘Prof Warwick also hopes to wire himself up to a ultrasonic sensor, to give himself a bat-like sixth sense.’
- ‘Then, using an electronic compass and ultrasonic sensors, it cuts the area about 10 times, ensuring a minimum of missed patches.’
- ‘They become aware of their environment and learn by a process of trial and error not to hit things their ultrasonic sensor tells them lie in front of them.’
- ‘Researchers theorize that there could be an evolutionary explanation for the frog's ultrasonic hearing.’
- ‘Mounted on the rear number plate and automatically activated in reverse gear, two ultrasonic sensors can detect obstacles up to 100 cm behind the car.’
- ‘Warwick also hopes to wire himself up to a ultrasonic sensor, used by robots to navigate around objects, to give himself a bat-like sixth sense.’
- ‘Occupancy sensors come in two basic types: infrared and ultrasonic.’
- ‘The team bombarded this liquid with sound waves tuned to ultrasonic frequencies that caused wide variations in pressure in the fluid.’
- ‘The ultrasonic flow meter is particularly well suited for this purpose, as the exhaled air is not trapped or filtered.’
- ‘Flashing lights and beeping ultrasonic sensors ensure that touchdown is accomplished without injury to vehicle or passenger.’
- ‘Coupled with the use of electromagnetic and ultrasonic detectors, excavations to find utilities could be faster and safer.’
- ‘She successfully destroyed two dozen hostile ghosts with ultrasonic sound waves and laser grids.’
- ‘There are four sets of ultrasonic sensors for detecting the opponent at a distance and four contact sensors on its sides which are triggered when contact is made.’
- ‘Others, like the tiger moth, hear the bat and emit a jamming signal in the ultrasonic frequency spectrum.’
- ‘There are ultrasonic sensors used to monitor weld quality.’
- ‘A wave sensor with canted ultrasonic beams also measures wave direction.’
- ‘A wide range of joining technologies is used, from laser and ultrasonic welding to adhesives.’
- ‘This is because the ultrasonic sensor was located apart from the buoy in the neighborhood of the coast that may have reduced the energy of the waves.’
- ‘Once the blade struck something, it would vibrate at an ultrasonic frequency, making the gash even bigger.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.