One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A type of laptop computer that is very slim and lightweight.
- ‘The ultra portable and thin and light models in Sony's Vaio range have always wowed with their special design.’
- ‘If multiple documents need to be viewed at the same time, an ultra-portable with a small display is probably not the best way to go.’
- ‘The range covers the full spectrum from ultraportable to desktop replacement, hitting all price points along the way.’
- ‘I do not think it will be an ultra portable.’
- ‘In fact, it vaults to the top of my list of favorite ultraportables.’
- ‘Portable projectors typically weigh between 6 and 10 pounds, and the so-called "ultra portables" between 2 and 6 pounds.’
- ‘For half the price of a regular laptop, you can buy an ultra portable, ultra small netbook that does the job nicely.’
- ‘Their range includes a model for every user from featherweight ultra-portable to full-spec desk-top replacement.’
- ‘But if you're set on an ultra-portable you'd be hard pushed to find a better model than this.’
- ‘It falls short of being the ultraportable of my dreams because of design flaws that, while serious, could have been easily corrected.’
- ‘The ultraportables are lighter than ever, but with no optical drive, loading new software is inconvenient when you're on the go.’
- ‘Unlike most ultraportables, it's packed with features.’
- ‘As weight goes down, price goes up, so you may be better to go for heavier but cheaper model with more features than a stripped-down ultraportable with fewer features.’
- ‘The display, as with most ultra portable machines is a 12 in unit with a resolution of 1024 x 768.’
- ‘The screen is small at 12 in but this is an ultraportable at 1.7kg, and big screens mean big, heavy batteries.’
- ‘Lenovo's ultraportable is rugged and different enough to earn a loyal following.’
- ‘Gartner has forecast that ultraportables (which it prefers to call " mini-notebooks ") will show strong growth over the coming years.’
- ‘If you occasionally bring a laptop home from work you really do not need to go for an ultra-portable.’
- ‘If you occasionally bring a laptop home from work you really do not need to go for an ultraportable.’
- ‘So you may be better to go for a heavier but cheaper model with more features, rather than a stripped-down ultraportable with fewer features.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.