One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A long-distance running race that is longer than a marathon (which is strictly 26 miles 385 yards/42.195 km)‘the race was his third ultramarathon of 100 miles or more in six weeks’as modifier ‘an avid mountain biker and ultramarathon runner’
- ‘There is no stadium, no grandstand, no masses of rabid ultramarathon fans.’
- ‘Skills: There's no substitute for logging the miles, and ultramarathon experience is a necessity.’
- ‘He is also the defending champion of the countries largest and oldest ultramarathon in the country - the JFK 50 Miler in Boonsboro, Maryland.’
- ‘The Badwater Ultramarathon follows a 135-mile route through California, from the bottom of Death Valley to the Sierra Nevadas.’
- ‘The 50 km distance has been infrequently contested in the last decade of USA Track & Field's Ultramarathon Championship program.’
- ‘Not content with his polar victories, he's planning to run seven extreme ultramarathons on seven continents this year.’
- ‘He found the strength and determination to beat 99 of the world's top runners in the The Atacama Crossing ultramarathon, a grueling seven-day and six-night race covering 270 km.’
- ‘I am an ultramarathon cyclist - having completed numerous double centuries.’
- ‘Although he once ran an ultramarathon through the Sahara, extreme temperatures don't do much for him.’
- ‘Over the course of five months, Warren went from running 12 - minute miles in 5ks to doing a 50k (31 miles) ultramarathon.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.