Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a rhythm or cycle) having a period of recurrence shorter than a day but longer than an hour.Compare with infradian
- ‘In addition, the timing of an ultradian rhythm, the defecation cycle, is lengthened compared to wild type.’
- ‘In the book Rossi provides essential historical data along with two of the author's favorite topics, ultradian rhythms and the four-stage creative cycle of healing and problem resolution.’
- ‘Failure to synchronize your patterns of activity and stimulation with your body's natural circadian and ultradian rhythms puts a stress on the system.’
- ‘These rhythmic contractions represent an ultradian cycle in worms that repeats every 47-50 sec and is controlled through inositol trisphosphate receptors in the posterior gut cells.’
- ‘Still slower ultradian rhythms, with a period of 2 h, and circadian rhythms have also been observed.’
1960s: from ultra- ‘beyond’(being of greater frequency than circadian) + -ian.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.