One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Extremely critical or judgemental.‘a steely, ultracritical perfectionist’
censorious, condemnatory, condemning, castigatory, reproving, denunciatory, deprecatory, disparaging, disapproving, scathing, criticizing, fault-finding, judgemental, negative, unfavourable, unsympatheticView synonyms
- ‘His exposure to that high maintenance, extremely knowledgeable and ultra-critical European couture clientele has served to temper his design philosophy in a very positive manner.’
- ‘I have a friend who's an architect and is ultracritical of what he sees as sloppy design.’
- ‘Success is all that concerns the ultra-critical Indian press and public.’
- ‘When the discouraged perfectionist reaches a certain point, she can become ultracritical not only of herself but of others.’
- ‘The food was perfectly acceptable and sensibly priced, but being ultra-critical I couldn't help wondering why you'd come here when there are so many other top-quality options within a couple of hundred yards.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.