Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A team sport in which players seek to score points by passing a Frisbee to a teammate over the opposing team's goal line.‘accurate throwing is hugely important in Ultimate Frisbee’→ ultimate
- ‘Traditionally, ultimate frisbee is a co-ed sport which has been played for decades without the arbitration of a referee.’
- ‘When I got my first taste of Ultimate Frisbee, I was pleasantly surprised.’
- ‘The nature of Ultimate Frisbee usually calls on the faster, more decisive team to win.’
- ‘I play ultimate Frisbee every week, and I lift weights.’
- ‘Ultimate frisbee isn't just a sport, but a way of staying together, having fun and travelling.’
- ‘Ultimate Frisbee is a fast-moving team sport.’
- ‘Ultimate Frisbee combines the nonstop movement and athletic endurance of soccer with the aerial passing skills of football.’
- ‘Ultimate frisbee is a serious game based on fun and fair play.’
- ‘He's introduced by one of their classmates who broke his wrist playing Ultimate Frisbee.’
- ‘She was engaged in an after-dinner game of Ultimate Frisbee with an assortment of alumni and staff.’
1970s: from ultimate and Frisbee (a proprietary name).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.