One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An auxiliary rocket engine used in weightless conditions to provide sufficient acceleration to maintain the flow of liquid propellant from the tank.
- ‘There are two jettisonable ullage rockets for propellant settling before engine ignition.’
- ‘This kit includes four integrally molded ullage rockets for Apollos 8 through 14, but they are positioned incorrectly.’
- ‘I also took the opportunity to mould the ullage rocket units, of which four appear on Apollo 11.’
- ‘At T + 60: 50 min one of 4 solid ullage rockets in 4th stage did not fire causing the stage to tumble.’
- ‘Eight ullage rocket motors located around the bottom of the second stage then fire for approximately 4 seconds to give positive acceleration to the stage prior to ignition of the five J - 2 engines.’
- ‘The flight was aborted by premature ignition of ullage rockets on Agena, after which President Eisenhower conferred with Richard M. Bissell personally.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.