One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An open sore on an external or internal surface of the body, caused by a break in the skin or mucous membrane which fails to heal. Ulcers range from small, painful sores in the mouth to bedsores and serious lesions of the stomach or intestine.
sore, ulceration, open sore, abscess, boil, carbuncle, pustule, blister, cyst, gumboil, wenView synonyms
- ‘This reduces the chance of getting pressure ulcers (bed sores) and of developing a deep vein thrombosis.’
- ‘Sometimes the stomach acid or the ulcer itself breaks a blood vessel in the lining of the stomach or duodenum.’
- ‘If you receive the bacteria by injection, it can cause skin ulcers and regional swelling of lymph nodes.’
- ‘They are also afflicted with painful skin ulcers and stomach problems.’
- ‘If the H. pylori germs are killed, your stomach ulcer or gastritis can be cured.’
- ‘Painful skin ulcers with gangrenous margins may be a feature of mixed bacterial infections.’
- ‘The commonest causes of vasculitic ulcers are rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus, and polyarteritis nodosa.’
- ‘Cells like that have been used to prevent cirrhosis of the liver and to heal diabetic ulcers and for drug testing.’
- ‘Gingival ulceration in herpetic stomatitis is common and is associated with mouth ulcers elsewhere and fever’
- ‘In most cases, treating the H. pylori infection allows the ulcer, or ulcers, to heal and prevents them from recurring.’
- ‘This is an autoimmune skin disorder that begins with lesions and skin ulcers on the face.’
- ‘A mouth ulcer is a painful sore in the mouth on either the cheeks or gums.’
- ‘These are more likely when the disease is active and include skin rashes, mouth ulcers, joint pains and anaemia.’
- ‘The 13 year-old suffered from serious skin ulcers on his right knee and the wound festered upward to his thigh.’
- ‘Along with the external ulcer, the internal arterial lesion must be treated.’
- ‘Like other chronic wounds, pressure ulcers fail to heal in a timely manner.’
- ‘Treating and preventing constipation may improve the symptoms and heal the ulcer.’
- ‘A common form of mouth ulcer, canker sores occur in women more often than in men.’
- ‘Its efficacy in superficial diabetic ulcers or ischemic diabetic ulcers has not been evaluated.’
- ‘They can give you stomach ulcers, make you bruise more easily, and even harm your liver and kidneys.’
- 1.1 A moral blemish or corrupting influence.‘he's a conman with an incurable ulcer called gambling’
Late Middle English: from Latin ulcus, ulcer-.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.