One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- short for ukulele
- ‘Sick of covering the burning paper mache dragon on 34th Street, reporters and film crews swarmed the uke players.’
- ‘So instead, I board the train with a pack on my back, a uke in my hand, and a song in my heart, attracting wary glances from everybody else on the platform.’
- ‘I'd have been very pleased indeed if my interest in learning the uke had lasted a whole year.’
- ‘When, in the early 20th century, mainland America fell in love with Hawaii, it fell in love with the uke too.’
- ‘‘I always felt they came to a stop whenever I had to play the uke,’ he recounted.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.