One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Unpleasant in appearance; unattractive.‘an ugly-looking industrial plant’‘ugly-looking fish’
- ‘Cane toads are poisonous, ugly-looking large toads that are a major problem in parts of Australia.’
- ‘Early photos of the product suggested a bulky, ugly-looking thing.’
- ‘The ugly-looking barbed wire fence along that area will be taken away and the promenade widened all the way to Suncoast Casino.’
- ‘The most frequently sighted resident of these dark recesses is an ugly-looking fish with blue coloration and a mouthful of large yellow fangs.’
- ‘He was very ugly-looking when you first examined him, but he had a very lively face with a lot of expression.’
- ‘She jumped up and let in a frightfully ugly-looking spaniel called Bibbs, which had been scratching at the door.’
- ‘You don't want new technology in a really ugly-looking space.’
- ‘They were human but like monsters: fearful, ugly-looking things.’
- ‘Initial reports that he had bought an ugly-looking former custom house proved unfounded.’
- ‘An ugly-looking modern store built right in the middle of the town square has totally ruined any character that it might have had.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.