Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A mottled green and yellow citrus fruit which is a hybrid of a grapefruit and a tangerine.
- ‘Also in the grapefruit family is the Ugli fruit, also marketed as the Uniq.’
- ‘With its loose, wrinkled skin, the Ugli fruit lives up to its deliberately misspelled name.’
- ‘Still, Ugli fruit is quite fun to say!’
- ‘However, the nutritional content of Ugli fruit is probably comparable to that of other citrus fruits.’
- ‘Can you guess which one is the Ugli fruit?’
1930s: ugli, alteration of ugly.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.