One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A short-tailed monkey with a long, coarse coat and a bare red, white, or black face, found in the Amazon rainforest.
Genus Cacajao, family Cebidae: two or three species
- ‘Red uakari monkeys are rare in zoos, where they are considered to be delicate and difficult to keep alive.’
- ‘The red uakari inhabits the rainforest canopy where they feed on leaves, fruit and insects.’
- ‘The black uakari is predominantly quadrupedal - walking, running and leaping with great frequency.’
- ‘The sakis, bearded sakis, and uakaris belong to the subfamily Pitheciinae and all have long shaggy hair.’
- ‘On a research visit to German zoos, he glimpsed his first uakari and saki monkeys, species indigenous to Brazil.’
Mid 19th century: from Tupi.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.