One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of an indigenous people inhabiting parts of southern Mexico.
- ‘Sheep husbandry among the Tzotzils is the exclusive responsibility of women, and it accounts for up to 36% of family income.’
- ‘In the hamlet of Tzajalemel in 1868, breakaway Tzotzils worshiping a talking saint established a moneyless economy with a sophisticated barter system.’
- ‘San Juan Chamula is the principal town of the Tzotzils, with a population of around 80,000-it is also the main religious and economic center of the community.’
- ‘From then on, nearly three hundred Indians, mainly Tzotzils, have converted to Islam in Chiapas.’
- ‘That shared commitment to peace has brought us and the Tzotzils of Chenalhó together to learn from each other.’
- ‘In general, the traditional lands of the Tzeltals lie at lower elevations than the lands of the Tzotzils.’
- ‘The Tzotzils planted their corn on steep, rocky slopes, wove clothes on traditional backstrap looms, ground corn by hand and patted out mountains of tortillas over smoky fires.’
- ‘From c.1960, Tzeltals and Tzotzils migrated to the region from central Chiapas.’
- ‘Now numbering some 330,000, the Tzotzils in the mountains of Chiapas have never been fully assimilated into the Catholic, Hispanic world since Spain conquered Mexico in the 1500s.’
- ‘Mr Sterk says that, when evangelicals first come in, the Tzotzils want to defend their spiritual world.’
- ‘Among some groups, such as Tzotzils, costume is not simply clothing, it is a mark distinguishing group from group.’
- ‘The objective of this investigation is to document the linguistic and ethnobiological heritage of the Tzotzils of Venustiano Carranza, Chiapas, Mexico.’
2mass noun The Mayan language of the Tzotzil.
- ‘They sit on the rim of the back of the truck, laughing and joking in their native tongue of Tzotzil while holding on for dear life.’
- ‘Tzotzil appears to contrast both physical and mental proximity, if I'm reading my source right.’
Relating to the Tzotzil or their language.
- ‘In Chiapas, Maya of the Tzeltal and Tzotzil tribes took part in the Zapatista uprising of January 1994.’
- ‘Tzotzil people make up the largest indigenous group in Mexic´s southernmost state of Chiapas.’
- ‘A native of the Tzotzil ethnic group, she lives in a small rural town 130 miles away from San Cristóbal de las Casas, the capital city of the southern Mexican state of Chiapas.’
The name in Tzotzil.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.