One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An infectious bacterial fever with an eruption of red spots on the chest and abdomen and severe intestinal irritation.
Typhoid is caused by the bacterium Salmonella typhi: Gram-negative rods
- ‘Sewage can carry cholera, typhoid, hepatitis and dysentery, all of which start with acute diarrhea.’
- ‘He revealed that troops were given more than 20 jabs, including those for anthrax, cholera, diphtheria, hepatitis, plague, polio, tetanus, typhoid, yellow fever and tuberculosis.’
- ‘Visitors should be vaccinated against tetanus, polio, typhoid, yellow fever and hepatitis A. Stick to bottled water.’
- ‘A single LifeStraw can filter up to 700 liters of water and effectively removes most of the micro organisms which spread diarrhoea, dysentery, typhoid and Cholera.’
- ‘Other diagnoses included diarrhoeal disease, dengue fever, typhoid, pneumonia, urinary tract infection, brucellosis, acute myeloid leukaemia, and infectious mononucleosis.’
- ‘Among the diseases resulting from poor sanitation, unclean water and poor waste disposal are dysentery, cholera, typhus fever, typhoid, schistosomiasis and trachoma.’
- ‘Setting aside the health risks - I can see an upsurge in cholera, typhoid, bacillary dysentery, diarrhoea and other water-borne diseases - it is such a waste of space.’
- ‘A look back through the meticulously archived school records shows youngsters' sick notes reporting everything from whooping cough, mumps and measles to scarlet fever and typhoid as lethal epidemics tore through the school.’
- ‘For example bacteria in unpasteurized milk have been known to infect those who drink it with polio, tuberculosis, typhoid, diphtheria, undulant fever, and foot and mouth disease.’
- ‘Vaccination against hepatitis, meningitis, typhoid, HIB and influenza are all produced by GSK.’
- ‘My hopes for an easy way out quickly vanished when he launched into a list that included hepatitis A, hepatitis B, cholera, tetanus, typhoid, polio, meningitis and malaria.’
- ‘In 2004, nine people contracted typhoid and paratyphoid fever, seven picked up malaria, two people got leprosy and there was one case of cholera.’
- ‘Jabs for yellow fever, typhoid, hepatitis, tetanus are recommended.’
- ‘To measles we can add smallpox, tuberculosis, malaria, typhus, typhoid, influenza and syphilis.’
- ‘In China, diseases such as cholera, typhoid, and scarlet fever have been all but eliminated by Western medicines and preventive efforts, such as vaccination.’
- ‘Diseases such as tuberculosis, influenza, malaria, typhoid, and pneumonia are serious health problems.’
- ‘The trend towards holidaying further afield and to more remote countries has been matched by an increase in travellers returning with exotic diseases such as yellow fever, hepatitis, typhoid - and malaria.’
- ‘In Liberia, the major health issue is infectious diseases, including yellow fever, cholera, typhoid, polio and malaria.’
- ‘The lack of clean water across the tsunami-hit region has raised the threat of waterborne diseases such as cholera, typhoid, dysentery and hepatitis.’
- ‘These include gastrointestinal problems and diarrhea afflicting children, and respiratory infections, cholera, typhoid, and typhus afflicting adults.’
Early 19th century: from typhus + -oid.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.