One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An alloy of lead, tin, and antimony, used for casting type.
- ‘Throughout history, lead has been used for many important applications, including water and sewer pipes, cable coverings, type metal, paints, food and tobacco wrappings, and gasoline additives.’
- ‘Other important applications include counterweights, battery clamps and other cast products such as: bearings, ballast, gaskets, type metal, terneplate, and foil.’
- ‘For example, when used as an alloy in type metal, it expands to fill all the corners of a mold, forming clean, crisp letters, numbers, and symbols.’
- ‘Among the uses of zinc alloys are automobile parts, roofing, gutters, batteries, organ pipes, electrical fuses, type metal, household utensils, and building materials.’
- ‘A mold was made from the handset type, and type metal was cast into this mold.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.