Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A designer and maker of metal type.
- ‘One of the best type founders was William A. Parkes, of 56 Sutherland Place, Wolverhampton.’
- ‘Every digital type founder that I have since spoken to complains of sharing abuses.’
- ‘The text of this book was set in Linotype Sabon, named after the type founder, Jacques Sabon.’
- ‘Wolfgang Endter, Der Buchdrucker, Setzer and Schriftgiesser (printer, compositor, and type founder), was entombed in 1651.’
- ‘Being a printer or a punchcutter or a type founder in those days was not necessarily a safe job.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.