One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small bone supporting the tympanic membrane in some vertebrates.
- ‘A slip may be given to the tympanic bone, stylomandibular ligament, or mandible at its angle.’
- ‘The tympanic bone is distinctively annular (ring-shaped).’
- ‘In the region of the ear, the tympanic bone is semicircular, and the petrosal is massive and only loosely bound to the basicranium.’
- ‘The aim of this study was to obtain data on the anatomic structure of the tympanic bone using parasagittal reformatted images created from high-resolution axial computed tomographic scans.’
- ‘The tympanic bone in the insectivores still forms a simple ring around the middle area, unlike the large capsulelike structure found in higher mammals.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.