One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small bone supporting the tympanic membrane in some vertebrates.
- ‘In the region of the ear, the tympanic bone is semicircular, and the petrosal is massive and only loosely bound to the basicranium.’
- ‘The tympanic bone in the insectivores still forms a simple ring around the middle area, unlike the large capsulelike structure found in higher mammals.’
- ‘A slip may be given to the tympanic bone, stylomandibular ligament, or mandible at its angle.’
- ‘The tympanic bone is distinctively annular (ring-shaped).’
- ‘The aim of this study was to obtain data on the anatomic structure of the tympanic bone using parasagittal reformatted images created from high-resolution axial computed tomographic scans.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.